Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Love of a Garden



The days sun has gone down and with a quiet calmness amongst the cool of the afternoon i have been planting my pots with violas, snapdragons and parsley, the brick garden has received stock and petunias in my favourite colour of white as i love the lush look of white against the cool greens.



Autumn will soon be upon us and the leaves will start to fall with all their colours of reds and browns and golds......no white to be seen until the spring flowers appear once again....


How good it feels to have dirt under my nails and to see once that was empty full and alive again, the house beckons, dust has settled yet again, there is a book i need to finish reading, ironing to be done and tea to get ready, but still i am in the garden.


Even though the quietness of the house has affected me lately and i have felt a bit lonely, amongst the garden, the plants, the birds and the soil, the quietness is music to my ears as i lose myself completely in the task at hand, starting something new!


It is indeed the journey to get there that is all consuming and exciting and not necessarily the end result, although i do look upon that with a sense of wonder and achievement.


Not forgetting nature also needs to be looked after i have fulled the dry bird bath with water, my ever present sparrow scurries away just out of sight, everyday i see it amongst the garden sorting through the soil for a fat worm, sorting and sifting for that hidden treasure...


How i love the bird life the trees bring, how grateful i am for them and i feel guilty having to put snail bait amongst my new gems, and i hope i am forgiven for not wanting my plants to be food for another...



Tomorrow i will throw bread to the birds to make up for my sins.....Tomorrow i wonder what it will bring to soothe my soul and awaken my senses...



Maybe the sun will come out so the plants will lift their heads to feel its warmth ......... the wind may toss them to and thro, perhaps it will rain and they will drink it up even before it hits the ground....



There just might be a surprise that pops up!!! The garden is an ever changing thing of beauty and it is here that I find the peace I seek....

No comments:

Post a Comment